Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What a day

I have never been so tired in my life.

So this is how my day went: I first did a bit of homework this morning before the judo practice. At practice, we did 6 sets of 4 min newaza randoris. After that, we did 5 sets of 6 min tachiwaza (standup) randoris with no break in between. I was sure we were done after that but I was then told we had to do another 5 sets of 5 min tachiwaza randoris. I was pretty tired after that. I got back to the dorm, made myself a quesadilla and managed to lay down for maybe 15 minutes before it was time for running training. My hair was even still wet from the morning practice as I set out for the mountain, where we'd be doing our running. It's about a 20 min bike ride to get to the bottom of the mountain. From there, you have to climb up the steep path to get to the top of the mountain, which also takes about 20 minutes. Then, the real training starts. We did countless sprints uphill. That mountain is like a paradise for trainers. There are so many steps and paths that can serve for training purposes.

After that, the training was finally over. But then we had to make our way back down the mountain. Let me tell you, even if your legs are not exhausted from both the sprints and the judo practice earlier in the day, getting down the mountain is tiring and dangerous. The steps are very steep and there are branches and leaves everywhere. As I went down, I had to be overly careful so that my legs wouldn't give out under me. Then, another 20 min bike ride to get back to the dorm. Finally I was home!!!

But then, another challenge awaited me. I had to cook supper. Boy, was I tired. The last thing I wanted to do was cook. But I cooked up some ground beef with garlic and onions and some eggplant, green peppers and mushrooms, cooked some pasta and added some tomato sauce, and voilà, a delicious spaghetti! : )



The dishes I cook don't usually taste exactly the way I expect them too. There's still a lot I need to learn. But anyhow, there's a certain satisfaction you get from cooking something on your own. I love being able to create something new. Afterwards I enjoy eating it : ) And experimenting is fun, you never know exactly what you're going to get : p

This week is going to be tough. I'm so glad we don't have school so I can get to rest a bit between practices. But it's because we don't have classes that the practices are longer and more intense. It's exhausting but I'm glad to be training. After such hard trainings, I always get such a great feeling of accomplishment. Yes, just about every muscle in my body hurts, but I know that my body is strong and can take it. Whatever kind of stress is thrown at it, it's able to perform. And a certain confidence comes from that. To know that during a match, I don't have to worry about my body giving out on me. I also have to thank one of my coaches, Alim, for my performance at today's running in the mountain. Last summer, when my brother Vincent and me spent two weeks at his house to train, he made us run this little trail. The trail consists of about 15 minutes worth of steep stairs going up and down. So I was ready for today's training. I had already done this kind of training and I knew my body wouldn't let me down. Running is a great mental training. Because you have to push yourself. And only you have that power to decide to keep on going. That's the kind of spirit you need in a judo match. No matter how tired your body is or how little energy you think you have left, you have to stay strong and keep on fighting.

Tomorrow, we only have judo in the morning. Then I have the afternoon off. I'm planning to go check out the booths that have been installed for the student festival. Right now, I only have one plan for tonight: SLEEP!!!

Oyasumi! (Good night ; )

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda got tired in the beginning of the reading :) just to read all the stuff you did.
But hey.. that's how you should train... I did this when it was my time... now it's your time.
You will feel the difference later ;)
Keep it up!!!
I can rest for you :D

Post a Comment