Monday, November 7, 2011

Student festival, kareoke, and facing the harsh reality of traveling abroad

This past week, a big student festival was held on the campus of the university. There were booths set up everywhere selling food, little souvenirs, etc. For the first part of the week, I took a back road to avoid having to go through the crowds of people. Plus, we weren't allowed to ride our bikes in campus during the festival. But then I finally had some time to go check it out. Here is how the main street on campus looked like that week:


The German booth, which sold German food (All three of us are not German, just in case you're a bit puzzled. My roommate (far right) and her friend were helping out. I was simply there to check it out.)

German food

Supposedly advertising German food... not sure why he's in a Pokemon costume.

One of the delicious treats sold at the festival

With my friend and judo trainer, Natsumi

During the week, I also had the chance to go to a kareoke bar for the first time! And I loved it! At first, I was a bit nervous to sing in front of the others but once I got over it, I just enjoyed myself. And I was so happy they had a big selection of songs in English (I don't know a Japanese song yet... I better get started on that). I was even able to sing a song in French by Céline Dion. Lots of fun, and actually very liberating. I'm sure I'll be going again soon ; )

Lately, I've also been realizing a couple of things. Before I came to Japan, I thought that the easiest thing about my trip to Japan would be leaving it at the end of my stay. I know I'll be excited to go back home and see my family and friends again after such a long time. But I'm also realizing now that the people I meet here will no longer be a part of my life. Of course, thanks to Skype and other social media tools, staying in contact with one another is a lot easier than in the past. But it's not the same as being able to call them up to go out somewhere. I've already gotten attached to the people who are part of my everyday life here in Japan. It's hard for me to imagine that I won't be able to see them when I go back to Canada. I know that when the time for goodbyes comes along, it'll be pretty tough and emotional. :'(

1 comments:

David said...

I actually had a chance to do Karaoke once... I was teaching some clinics to beginning band students in Flin Flon (of all the places to have a first karaoke experience... :P). After the first day (a Friday), we were hanging out with the band teacher (a BU grad) at the hotel bar, and she got a text from another teacher inviting all of us to a different bar for karaoke night. So, we got up and sang Yellow Submarine in front of a bunch of teachers... lol. It's kind of weird to think about it like that! Anyway, I agree, it's a lot of fun!

Post a Comment