Monday, November 7, 2011

A nice little lunch with my aunt

I finally got to see my aunt Shizuko on Sunday. It takes about 2 hours to get from her house to the university and since it's a pretty long and tiring trip, this is the first time I've been able to see her. She's technically my dad's aunt, so does that make her my great aunt? I'm not going to get started with that. My friends know that if you get past grandmother and grandfather, I get lost in all the family ties. The mother's sister who got remarried with the husband's uncle... err, just writing that is confusing to me ; ).

I decided to cook lunch for her. And what better to serve than quiche? I've made some quiches back in Canada and they're relatively simple to make. So I found a recipe online for a crustless spinach quiche. Then, I bought all the necessary ingredients at the supermarket. The day of, things went relatively smooth except when it came to using the oven to bake the quiches. I asked another girl for help and although she had never used it, she explained which buttons she thought I ought to press. So while I waited for my aunt to arrive, I prayed that my quiches would come out edible. And they did! : )

My aunt Shizuko, taking her first bite

The hero of the day
And best of all, compared to two years ago when I first saw Shizuko, I was able to speak Japanese a lot better. We were able to have actual conversations.

*  *  *

I've just finished the third season of The Mentalist. It's my little guilty pleasure. When I've done my homework and have a little spare time, I catch up on the episodes. Let me just say that I'm very angry with the producers of the series right now. Do they realize how frustrating they're making me (and the rest of The Mentalist fans) feel? From the first episode of the first season, Patrick Jane, a consultant with the CBI, has been looking for the man who killed his wife and daughter, a man who calls himself Red John. And after attempting to track him down through the whole first three seasons, he finally kills the man supposed to be Red John... but it turns out it's not him after all! AHHH!!! I'm going crazy! Producers, stop messing with us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment