Monday, November 14, 2011

まだまだ (mada mada) = You still have lots to learn

Recently, I've been feeling pretty pumped about studying Japanese. I feel like something inside of me is screaming out : "Study Japanese! Keep learning!". Or maybe it's the surroundings here in Japan that are subliminally tricking me into thinking that way. Anyhow, I suddenly am feeling very enthusiastic about learning, even more than usual (for those who know me : p ). I also bought two wonderful books at Kinokuniya this past weekend. One grammar dictionary and a book to learn 1 100 kanji characters. The best place to buy textbooks and other resources to learn Japanese is ironically in Japan. Normally, I think it's more common for people to study the language in their home country before coming to Japan, like I did. But if you're thinking of studying Japanese, I now suggest you come to Japan first to buy the great books they have here.

Part of why I'm so enthusiastic about learning is probably because I'm starting to feel quite at home here. I'm starting to understand more and more every day. I can ask people for directions if I'm lost. I know which train to take if I want to go somewhere. I know where to buy what I need. Without having to concentrate as much, I can hear and understand Japanese a lot better. Japanese comes much more easily to me now. Sometimes a Japanese word will pop in my mind before an English word!

But at the same time, whenever I want to pat myself on the shoulder for what I've learnt so far, I realize how little I know, how much more there is to study. And I'm scared I won't have enough time to become as fluent as I want to be. There is so much to learn. Japanese is really a hard language.

For example, they have so many words to say the same thing. "To arrive", "to do", "to go", there are so many expressions used to convey those meanings.

Then there are different forms of Japanese, depending on whom you're speaking with. If you're speaking to someone higher in rank, you have to use teinei (polite language) and keigo (honorific language). In class we learn to speak teinei most of the time. And then when I go to judo class or converse with other people my age in Japanese, I get all confused because they use another form, a more casual form of speaking. So I'm constantly having to think about which forms I'm supposed to use.

Classes are going well. I love learning so it's like a hobby for me. We have four different teachers, and today's teacher, Sakamoto sensei, is my least favorite. She speaks very fast and doesn't try to simplify her vocabulary for us so I don't understand what she's saying about half the time. Sometimes, a student will ask her the definition of a certain word in Japanese. And even though I know the definition, I often don't understand what she says! One thing I like is that she's a bit clueless about technology. So whenever she has to use the stereo or recorder to play some dialogues or listening exercises, it usually takes her quite some time. I've been using that time to start (and sometimes finish!) my homework for the day lol. Talk about being efficient ; )

Yesterday evening, I went out to eat with Natsumi, one of the judo trainers, and we had some noodles. Even though I know it's a custom in Japan, I was still surprised to hear some slurping noises coming from across the table. In Canada, we're accustomed to not making any sound when we eat. However, here in Japan, it's acceptable and even encouraged to slurp when you eat noodles. It signifies that the food is good. However, it was difficult for me to bring myself to make some sound. I'm so used to not making any sound. So that's another thing I'll have to practice : )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And all that after only 2 months! How will you feel in a couple more? Congrats my love! - Agloral

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

Hey! You stole my line, well not quite my line, for your title... Now what am I supposed to write in my blog in three year hun? ;-)

France said...

Don't worry, you can say: "Compared to my SISTER, I still have lots to learn" :P

Post a Comment