Monday, November 7, 2011

Field trip to Hakone!

Today, all the international students took a bus to Hakone, a city about one hour away by bus from the university. The trip was organized by the university to allow us to experience some of the great things Japan has to offer.

We first visited a sort of art exhibition. Inside certain buildings, there were paintings and carvings. Outside, there were all kinds of neat sculptures. I took lots of pictures but because I'm afraid to run out of space on the blog, I'm only uploading a few.



Posing with some of the other international students



With Mari, from Finland

Huge koi fish, who just wanted to be given some food

After that, we went to Owakudani, a volcanic valley known for its special black hard-boiled eggs. From what I was told, the eggs turn black due to the active sulphur in the hot springs. Eating one is said to add an additional seven years to your life. I shared an egg with my friend Mari, eating half. So I can maybe count on an additional three and a half more years? : p We'll have to test that theory.


There was lots of fog as we made our way up


Last stop on our trip, the checkpoint at Hakone. Apparently, during the Edo Period, Hakone was an important checkpoint to control traffic along the Tokaido, the highway linking Tokyo with Kyoto. I just read this on the Internet. If they explained that to us during our trip, I clearly didn't understand. It might have been written on the little signs at the checkpoint, but I didn't try to read them.

A guy who declared he's a Ninja... not sure if I believe him...

Having fun posing ; )


From left: Minji (Korea), In (Thailand), Yonjin (Korea), Mari (Finland), and me


The university has its own buses!
After that it was time to go home. It was a long day and I'm pretty tired. I still found some time and energy to post about it though because I know my readers are always awaiting new information. : ) Now, the break is over and training and classes start again tomorrow. Back to work! : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment