Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TY - FUN!!!

I lied in my post yesterday. I couldn't have had a real first taste of the rain because I was inside the whole time. Today, I can now say that I experienced my first real downpour. Right now in Japan, there's a typhoon passing through and it decided to come pay us a visit. How nice of it ; ) I don't think we're in the worst of it but it's awful enough. The rain is coming down hard and the trees are rattling like crazy in the wind and against the windows of the residence. Classes for regular students were cancelled today. Us international students still had to have our interviews and attend campus orientation. After orientation, both my friend Zara and I really needed to go to the supermarket to get certain items so we braved the wind and rain and walked to the supermarket, about a 20 min walk from the campus. We made it back to the dorm but we paid the price. We were both drenched from head to toe, even though we both carried umbrellas.

I bought a see-through umbrella today. If you're not sure what that means, it's an umbrella with a sort of plastic material (instead of the usual thin fabric) through which you can see. Walking back from the supermarket, I discovered why so many Japanese have this kind of umbrella. I always wanted to buy one simply for its esthetic value. I find them chic-looking. But now I see they also serve a more practical purpose. They allow you to hold the umbrella low over your head and still see where you're walking because you can see through the plastic. Neat, huh? : p

** Edit: Apparently I already liked see-through umbrellas as a child. Here is a photo my mom found of my dad and me in Japan when I was just a baby.


I was supposed to have my first judo practice today... but it was cancelled because of the current weather conditions. Which I don't mind today. All the walking in the wind and rain and wearing soaked clothes all day tired me out. I'd rather be a bit more rested before I take part in my first judo practice here.

So instead, I'll spend a quiet evening: cook supper, draw a bit, read and study a bit of Japanese. My roommate and I have started exchanging favorite artists and songs. She seems to like Céline Dion, Bruno Mars and The Carpenters. She's also given  me a couple artists that are popular now in Japan that I will check out when I get the chance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did I tell u about buying a rain coat??? huh??? Now u understand why :D

France said...

I don't know who this is but I think I have an idea... TON?? Well, about the umbrella, I will buy one eventually. I'll just see how long I can last without one :P

Anonymous said...

:D I told you!! Rain Coat + Umbrella = dry person :)
It's a lot of work to put my name.. so I just choose "anonymous" ^^

France said...

well I'm halfway there. Got an umbrella and some rain booties, so now I only have the rain coat to buy. Okay then "anonymous"... not really anonymous anymore :P

Post a Comment