Monday, September 19, 2011

More shopping... and walking... and sweating

Today, along with another international student from Denmark, Zara, I went to the supermarket Yorktown for the third time in four days. Starting a new life requires a lot of things. Whenever I want to cook at home back in Manitoba, I simply reach into the pantry or scavenge in the refrigerator to find what I need. However... can't really do that in the fridge here unless I fill it with food. So I bought many food items such as milk, cereal, bread, peanut butter, fruits and vegetables. Looking for things in a supermarket in Canada is already tricky at times. Try doing that in another country with new products and all in signs you can't read. Had to buy some water today because the bottle of water I'd bought yesterday wasn't water haha. The fruits here are really expensive... but it's a luxury I think I'm going to indulge in because they are simply A-M-A-ZING. So fresh and delicious. Even their apple juice is incredible. I'm normally not a fruit juice person but I'm going to make an exception. My brother Vincent, who can chug 2 L of apple juice in a sitting should be very jealous right now... :p but you'll get the chance to taste it when you visit Japan.

Then I had to buy less obvious things like olive oil, salt, a knife, some sarran wrap, etc. Back at the dorm, there is a fridge where we can store our food. We also each have a locker to store non-perishable things and other kitchen tools. Here are a couple of pictures. Only been here two days and my locker is already full. Also bought a nice little rice cooker. Have never used one and I think I'll have to get my roommate to help me with the instructions manual... unfortunately doesn't come in English. Then Zara and me made our way slowly and painfully back to our dorm, both lugging a rice cooker and carrying a heavy backpack full of food.

my locker

Fridge: shared with Italy and Australia

my cute little rice cooker
 Thought I'd take a few pictures of my room. My bags aren't completely unpacked yet, but I'm sure they'll unpack themselves in the next weeks.

sign outside our door : my name is written on the right in katakana


My roommate's side of the room

the view outside our window

Our curfew is 11 PM. After that, you cannot enter the residence by the front door. But the well-known trick here: have a friend open the window in the kitchen so you can jump in. Good reason to make friends ; )

0 comments:

Post a Comment