Friday, September 30, 2011

Judo (+ dojo pictures!!)

I've had four judo practices so far. I'm already starting to get a bit better at gripping but they still throw me many times during a fight, most often with their footsweeps. I don't know exactly how they do it. They just seem to hit my leg and I'm already falling. Something I'm going to have to learn how to do... and learn to avoid during my stay here. But I won't be able to avoid the bruises that have started showing up. That's part of being a judo athlete. I don't remember signing up for bruises though... : p Maybe it was written in veeery small letters at the bottom of the contract ; )

Here are a few pictures I took of the dojo. There are two tatami areas, one upstairs and one downstairs. The girls usually practice downstairs:



*(different color because of the camera flash)

Notice board near the entrance

A little paper with some information about me that was put up on the notice board
The girls have started to be a bit more friendly. I've been invited to go eat sushi together sometime. Others come up to me after practice to ask a few questions. I'm starting to remember more names now too. It's easy for them since I'm the only new one but it'll take a while before I learn all their names. And how to differentiate them from one another.

A couple of the girls are also more interested in Canada since they'll be flying to Canada in February to participate in the Pacific Senior tournament in Vancouver, BC. Unfortunately I won't be there but many were asking me the other day about what's good to eat in Canada. They're probably going to be surprised to see that Vancouver has many good sushi restaurants haha!

Here are pictures of the dojo upstairs, where the men practice and where the girls will practice occasionally.

The mats upstairs are bouncy. I was told it's a way of
reducing injuries as the bounciness helps to absorb
the impact when someone falls. 

Part of the men's team relaxing after their practice
Another interesting fact: Japanese girls scream a lot during practice. I'm not sure exactly what they're saying all the time, but I think it's mostly to cheer each other on. During a single match, they probably call out words ten times at least. And the other girls respond to this by calling out in return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol... not scream!!! Have you ever heard about kiai?? Yes, that's where it's applied.
It's a way a way to put your energies out. It's a way to respond to someone's instruction or call. Usually they will answer any coaches call of attention with an answer back as a "scream" :)
It is true that at the same time you are entering the technique and you are breathing out, you "scream" you are able to release more power in your technique, and some coaches say that a good kiai can change a wazari to an ippon and so.
You'll learn that it's more usual than everything else and that the people that stay quiet are the weird ones ;)

France said...

then I better start screaming eh? To appear "normal" :P

Post a Comment