Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pacific International Invitational

I am currently watching the tournament live on my laptop. Can you believe it?! I almost can't!


My current laptop screen : Two girls from Tokai fighting, Azusa (white) and Miyu (blue)

This is the first time they televise the tournament and my mother sent me the link to the website. I had to wake up at 5:00 o'clock in the morning (noon, British Columbia time) but who cares? I get to watch my brother, my Canadian friends and teammates, and the Tokai girls fight. I almost feel like I'm with them. I'm screaming and cheering them on from my room... maybe they can hear me in spirit ; )

There are four mat areas and it's hard for me to watch everyone I want to see. My brother will be up on mat 3 while a girl from Tokai is fighting on mat 4 while another friend is fighting on mat 1. lol Of course my brother comes first. He fought in both the junior and senior divisions, winning the gold medal in junior and holding his own in the senior category.

It's great seeing so many familiar faces: athletes from other provinces, girls I previously fought with, teammates, even referees. It's a world I'm used to: the sounds, the fighters, the referees, etc. I feel like a stalker though because they have no clue that I'm watching them all the way from Japan. A bit scary if you think of it... what is possible with Internet today... but so COOL at the same time!!! : )

And even though I'm Canadian, I found myself cheering on the Tokai girls, even when they were fighting some of my friends or teammates. Although I've been training with them for only five months, and I don't yet understand everything they say to me, I still have developed a bond with and allegiance (I guess you can call it that) to the Tokai girls.

0 comments:

Post a Comment