Saturday, October 15, 2011

Living in constant confusion

I hit a low point a few days ago. Since I arrived in Japan, I've gotten accustomed to not always understanding what people are saying to me. It's amazing how I've managed to get by so far using gestures and logical reasoning. But the other day, the bank left a message to call them back. When I did, I couldn't understand anything they told me. Then I handed the receiver to the dorm lady so she could take the message for me. But then, when she tried to transmit the message to me, I couldn't understand once again. It's so frustrating not being able to understand, especially when it comes to important things like passports or money.

But then again, it's important to take things in perspective. Compared to when I first came, about a month ago, my Japanese has improved leaps and bounds. I speak with less hesitation (even though I'm always searching for words), have increased my vocabulary enormously and can read a lot more kanji characters. And that's only after one month. I still have about 11 more to go. So I'm trying to stay positive and just keep absorbing everything I see and hear. Except the rain. I'm trying to veer away from the rain : p (which is impossible by the way)

0 comments:

Post a Comment