Monday, October 10, 2011

Getting my feet wet

I finally had the opportunity to take the train and see something other than the university campus. On Saturday, my roommate Moe and I took the train to Shinjuku, a famous shopping district in Tokyo. I don't think I've ever bumped into so many people in one day. The train station is PACKED with people walking in all directions. In fact, pretty much anywhere in Japan is packed with people.




In Shinjuku, we did some shopping. I bought a one piece swimsuit (which is mandatory to enter the university's swimming pool), some clothes (ironically from H&M and Forever 21, which are both American stores), and a great Japanese cookbook in English. So as soon as I have time, I'll start studying Japanese cooking, something I've wanted to learn for some time now.

My favorite place in Shinjuku is probably the bookstore, Kinokuniya. I could spend hours in that bookstore (in any bookstore in fact), which has eight floors full of books. And on the 7th floor, there are plenty of English novels and books which for me was like paradise lol. At least I know where to go if I happen to finish all the novels I brought from Canada.

Moe, my roommate

A guy dressed as Johnny Depp (the resemblance is incredible!)
We came back late that day and I was pooped. Shopping itself is tiring, but in Japan, it's ten times more so, with so many people hitting you by accident and having to squirm your way around people in the streets or in the train station. Then, even once you're done shopping, to get back home, the trains are also crowded and there are often no places left to sit. By the time you get back home, you are exhausted.

Then the next day, I had to wake up early to take the train again, this time to Nihon Budokan to watch some of Tokai's judo club members participate in the "All-Japan University Students tournament" (English translation). The tournament site is enormous. I'd been there once before with my dad two years ago but I didn't remember it being so big.


There were only five mat areas... I say only because in each weight class, there were about 30-40 athletes. In Canada, even at our Nationals, we will usually only have about 15-20 per division. Honestly, compared to Canada, the number of people who practice judo in Japan is mind-boggling. I knew that before coming but seeing a tournament of this size was still a shock for me.

There are some interesting differences between tournaments in Japan and tournaments in Canada. They don't wear blue judogis. Instead, they use red and white belts to differentiate the fighters. Concerning the scoring, what would easily be considered a yuko in Canada isn't even acknowledged here. And what would probably be wazari or ippon in Canada is only given a yuko score. The tournament was very efficient... hmm... does that mean I'm saying that tournaments in Canada are not efficient? ; ) Compared to the little number of people that compete in tournaments in Canada and the long breaks when the tv screens don't work, Japan is a lot more efficient. The tournament started at 9 and was over by 3 o'clock. And that's taking into account the large weight divisions mentioned above.

I also had the chance to meet my dad's aunt, Shizuko. Only saw her for a few minutes, but I left a lot heavier than before. She gave me a bag full of Japanese snacks and some homemade applesauce.

My aunt Shizuko and me


Went back home after... tired once again. Took the subway all by myself on the way back. I'm starting to understand the subway system a bit better but I'm still clueless about all the different lines and types of trains (express, local, rapid express). Hopefully I won't have to get lost too often to figure it out : p

0 comments:

Post a Comment