Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Japan: my brother's impressions

My brother's impressions are perhaps a bit different from mine since it was his first time to Japan. I thought it would be interesting to share his thoughts with you. Here is a little text he prepared:

Japan, Here I Come!

                Japan for me was like an apple that looks so good but when you take a bite, it’s not what you expected. You turn the apple over and you see the same thing you saw before but when you dig your teeth in deeper, you are constantly surprised. I had a certain perspective of what I thought Japan was going to be. Now that I’ve seen Japan, that idea has changed. Some things surprised me, while others disappointed me but most kept me asking for more.
                Most of what I encountered was new to me. Seeing my Japanese relatives for the first time was great. I also met a lot of my father’s friends. I visited new places: the Kodokan, the Budokan, and different parts all over Tokyo. The food is great in Japan although it can be somewhat odd at times. Apple juice, okonomiyaki, salads (even in the morning), rice, curry, eel, fish, soup, and noodles are some of the delicious foods I tasted. The overwhelming crowds were also something new. And using the train as the main mode of transportation was an experience on its own. The people and the constant bows along with the language all seem strange to me. The more I saw, the more I was intrigued.
                Tokyo is huge! From the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, all I saw were endless buildings. And it’s packed. There are a lot of people. It can be very easy to lose yourself or the ones you are following. My sister, who’s been there for six months, often had to rely on my internal GPS systems to get us to our destination. The amount of people can become overwhelming at times but it taught me to remain calm and keep the goal in mind.
                Some things are unique to Japan and had a big impact on my trip. There are convenience stores on every block with so much selection it’s unbelievable. My sister brought me to a photo booth that turns your face into a manga, to karaoke and to her university. I saw the university I will probably be attending in three years. I even practiced judo a few times with both the women and the men. In three years, I’ll be living here.
                I learned a lot from Japan and I loved the experience. As I dug my teeth into the culture, people and lifestyle of Japan, I tasted part of my future and what awaits me… and I liked it! I will never forget the last thing everyone told me as they say goodbye. “Ja matakimasu. Ganbatte. Faito.” This means : “Until next time. Good luck and fight well.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment