Sunday, April 1, 2012

Campus tour

I felt like a Tokai University representative last Friday, someone who shows the possible future students around campus to try to win them over. I took my dad and brother all around campus, showing them the sports facilities and administrative buildings.

The cafeteria

The training center for sports teams



In front of the dojo


Archery practice
The archery practice was probably one of the most interesting things of the day. It was something even I hadn't seen yet. The archery range is right beside where I live. A while ago, I was just walking around trying to find shortcuts and I came across two boys who were shooting. They looked at me a bit strangely at the time, probably wondering what was I doing there.

Anyway, I told my brother I had seen them and he loves Japanese bows (which are a lot longer than normal bows) so he asked me to show him their practice range. So, after our little campus tour, I brought my brother and dad there, thinking there wouldn't be anyone shooting. But when we got there, there was a practice going on. After explaining that we just wanted to watch a bit, they welcomed us and let us enter so we could watch them shoot. It was a great experience. I thought judo practices were loud because everyone shouts and screams to encourage one another. But during the archery practice, they scream and shout a lot louder and all at once. Shikkari ike! (Shoot steadily) Jikkuri ike! (Take your time). You're probably wondering how they're able to focus with all that noise. As the archer is starting to bring the arrow down, everything goes silent. And then, everyone watches the archer make his shot. Talk about pressure. They shoot one at a time, so everyone's attention is fully focused on the archer who's taking his shot.

1 comments:

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

Shikkari ike!!

Post a Comment