Thursday, March 8, 2012

My first manga!

Yesterday, I bought my first manga books! I've always loved manga and have tried my hand at drawing them a few times. Here are the two books I bought:

#1: Slam Dunk: a series about basketball players. I'm not a fan of basketball, in fact I usually say it's my least favorite sport. But the judo girls recommended this as one of their favorites so I'm giving it a shot.



#2: Ao Haru Ride: Honestly, I can't tell you what it's about yet, but I think the story is set during middle school. I've started reading this one but I have to stop at every page to look up words I don't know.



The most important criteria in selecting these books was that they have furigana. Furigana are hiragana characters that explain how to read kanji. Therefore, even though there are many kanji I can't read, if they have the furigana, (the hiragana letters), then I can look up the word in a dictionary. If I only have the kanji, then I can't look it up because I don't know how to write the kanji in the first place. I have found this cool website where you can draw a kanji character and then it will show you how to read it, but having to do that for every word would be quite tiring... and I would never finish the book.

2 comments:

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

What happened to Prince of Tennis? ;-)

France said...

I already know the whole story from listening to you :P just kidding. It's next on my list.

Post a Comment