Sunday, March 18, 2012

2 Halfs make 1 Whole

I first heard the term "half" about a year and a half ago when I participated in the Junior Worlds in Morocco. Using the little amount of Japanese I knew back then, I introduced myself to a couple of the girls from the Japanese team. I told them that I was Canadian but that my dad was Japanese. Their response was immediate: "Ahh, Haafu" (meaning half). That means I'm half-Japanese. The word can be seen as a kind of discrimination like my dad initially told me, kind of like saying "Oh, you're only half-Japanese, not the real thing". But I've chosen to embrace the word, because that's what I am, half-Japanese.

It's quite interesting to be half-Japanese and living in Japan. I get a lot of stares every day because I confuse Japanese. Because I have some Asian features, they can't classify me right away as a gaikokujin, a foreigner. I don't stand out like other foreigners who have blue eyes or blond hair. But then again, I don't look completely Japanese either. I have curly hair, bigger eyes, and sometimes I may not behave like a typical Japanese. Some are just curious, sneaking glances here and there in the train. But others are not as subtle, openly staring at me and frowning. Some people will come right up to me and ask me where I'm from, like the older women do when I go to the hot baths. Just today, I had a long discussion with two Japanese women who were curious as to my whereabouts.

In Canada, my Asian features are probably my most defining features when you compare me to other Canadians. But in Japan, it's my Canadian features that stand out.

I'm proud to be Canadian and Japanese. I have the best of both worlds like my mom always says. I inherited my dad's dark and thick hair but got my brown tint and curls from my mom's side of the family. I have almond-shaped eyes but they're hazel instead of black. My height and body type are similar to most Japanese. And I'm polite and reserved like many Japanese. But I'm also more outspoken and sometimes find it ridiculous that Japanese can talk for a long time without saying much or deciding anything. I really do have the best of both worlds. My dad always says: "Tu ne connais pas ta chance!" which is French for "I don't know how lucky I am." But I'm starting to. : )

1 comments:

Papa said...

C'est beau!
Tu commences à comprendre les Japonais profondément bien.

Post a Comment