Thursday, March 8, 2012

Konbini : Convenience stores

Convenience stores in Japan are everywhere. In Japanese, they're called konbini. Within 10 minutes on foot from where I live, there are 4 convenience stores. And those are only the ones I know of. I'm sure there are a few others in proximity I haven't gone to yet. There are many different chains, some of the more common ones include Lawson, 7-11, Family Mart, and Daily Yamazaki.





Back home, I seldom entered convenience stores. But here in Japan, I probably visit one at least 3 times a week. Here's a list of some of the goods you can buy: sandwiches, bentos (lunch boxes with rice, meat, vegetables), salads, snacks, sweets, frozen meals, ice cream, beverages, alcohol and liquor, magazines and newspapers. You can also buy necessary daily items like toothbrushes, shampoo, batters, tape, pens and paper, etc.

Now for the services offered:

- there's always a public telephone, usually bright green
- there's a fax/copy machine
- there's sometimes a mail box to post your letters
- you can take out money from the ATM machine
- you can reserve tickets for concerts or sporting events
- you can also print out digital camera pictures for about 30 yen

They are very convenient and time-saving. For example, today, it took me about 10 minutes to post my letters, call up my aunt and buy my supper. They even heat up your supper for you at the cashier.

2 comments:

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

WOW!!! They even heat your meal... I guess some convenience stores here have microwaves, but still. "Over servicing country" as dad would say.

France said...

Over-servicing perhaps, but I'd rather call it convenient and time-saving. You should memorize this phrase before you come: Atatamemashouka? (It means, shall I heat it up for you?)

Post a Comment