Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's all about perspective

This morning, I took the train to Shinjuku, which is about a 1h ride. Usually, there are stops where quite a few people get off so you can snag a seat at that time. However, today, just as I rushed to take a seat, someone else took it right before me. This happened about 4 times. And I'll admit I was getting kind of pissed off because I had been standing for about 8 stops already and the people who were just coming on to the train were getting seats. Then, finally, I got a seat! Right on the edge, the seat that everyone likes the best. But... then I notice an old man who just got on at the last stop who's standing right next to me, holding on to a handle. And... even though I had just took out my textbooks to start studying, I put them back in my bag, I stood up and gave him my seat. And then, nothing mattered anymore. I could have stood all the way to Tibet because I was no longer angry or frustrated. I had given him my seat and done something good. Then, a few stops later, I was able to sit down, in the seat in front of him. And he looked at me, and ever so slightly nodded his head, thanking me for what I had done. And that made my day.

3 comments:

maman said...

I'm very happy to see you becoming so nice and wise. Happiness comes from all these small moments where you make a difference in someone's life.

Papa said...

Grand-maman est fiere de toi.

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

That's my sister. Just like in "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens" page 35-37 (Do small acts of kindness). Way to be!

Post a Comment