Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cultural adaptation

It's amazing the things we get used to. The human body is made to adapt to even the most extreme environments. Ok, lol, my environment isn't really extreme... but I've still gotten used to a few things since I've been here:

1) I've gotten used to having people lean against me on the train and almost fall asleep on my shoulder. I've also become that person as well. I usually wake up a few times and I always end up elbowing my neighbors by accident.

2) The words "typhoon" and "earthquake" have become part of my daily vocabulary. In fact, there's currently a typhoon in Japan. It started in Okinawa and has made its way to Honshuu Island. We're not in the worst of it, but the wind is blowing (making these really cool whistling sounds) and it hasn't stopped raining since this afternoon.

3) Japanese don't all look the same. True, they do look very similar. When I first started practicing at the judo club, the girls all looked the same to me. But now, I've gotten to know them, and now they appear very different from one another.

I'm sure there are a lot more things I could write about... but I'm tired, so you'll just have to wait till next time. : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment