Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Google Japanese translation and second haircut

Google is an amazing tool. However, I want to warn you about the translation tool. I'm currently working on a speech because we have a speech contest coming up. And of course, the speech has to be in Japanese. So, to start, I wrote my ideas in English and then translated those into Japanese. I sometimes used the Google translation tool to help me when I wasn't sure. And let me tell you, Google has its own personal version of Japanese.

For simple sentences, no problem.

I went to school yesterday. --> Google translation: きのう、学校にいきました。(Of course, you can't read that, but it means the same thing as I wrote in English.

However, for more complex sentences, it comes up with weird sentences... but because I don't understand everything yet, even though I know it probably isn't right, I'm not sure how to say it correctly so I just copied and pasted those sentences as is into my speech. And when I asked my roommate to help me correct my speech, she laughed at a few sentences because the sentences made no sense at all. So, I just wanted to warn you, Google translation (or any other translation tool) can be quite useful. But because you can't always translate literally the meaning of a sentence from one language to another, some very interesting sentences (possibly the start of a new language! : p ) will come up, so err on the side of caution please.

*   *   *

On Sunday, I went with my roommate to a hair salon, my second haircut in Japan. It's getting so hot now and my hair is especially thick and heavy so I thought it best to cut it a bit shorter for the upcoming humid summer days. And here is the final product:


The overall length is shorter, and I also have bangs for the first time, a slightly shorter part of hair at the front of my forehead (for those who don't know what bangs are). I also got my hair thinned out, meaning that they went through with scissors to cut off excess (and heavy!) hair. It definitely feels much lighter. The hairdresser was really nice and took time to listen to what I wanted. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with it and I really enjoy having haircuts in Japan. I find the hairstylists are more competent and put more thought into how they approach the cut. In Canada, I've had times where my hairstylist was distracted, or talked to a fellow hairstylist about her boyfriend during the whole cut.

2 comments:

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

Ok, where is the "Like" button when you need it?

France said...

Facebook addict :P

Post a Comment