Thursday, August 23, 2012

Herbivore Men

This is a post for a special someone... who let me know today that I am slow in updating my blog. But it's hard to update when there's nothing new happening... so I decided to write about something else related to Japanese culture.

I first heard about "Herbivore Men" back in Canada, about a year ago, when I competed in a Japanese speech contest. At least 2 or 3 of the speeches were about these "Herbivore Men", known in Japanese as Shoshokukei danshi. I didn't understand the term at that time but since I've been in Japan, I've heard it many times (along with some new terms as well) and I thought it'd be interesting to write about.

In the past, men were considered Nikushokukei danshi (肉食系男子), in other words, Carnivore Men. These are men who actively pursue women.

However, a large percentage of Japanese men now fall under the category of Sōshokukei danshi (草食系男子), Herbivore men. These men are passive when it comes to relationships. Shy and gentle, they don't approach or pursue the women they like. According to Wikipedia, they "shun marriage or gaining a girlfriend" and "are characteristically described as frugal, and interested in personal grooming".

Now, to compensate for these "Herbivore Men", who won't confess their feelings or ask girls out on a date, girls have started to become more forthcoming in relationships, becomingNikushokukei joshi (肉食系女子), Carnivore Women.

And there are also two other terms that I learned not too long ago when I ate supper at the Iwasa's.

Asparagus Bacon (アスパラベーコン) : You know how the bacon enveloppes the asparagus? On the outside, the guy appears to be a Carnivore but he's actually a Herbivore on the inside.


Note: Picture taken from Google

Cabbage Roll (ロールキャベツ) : This is the opposite. On the outside, the guy appears to be a Herbivore when he's really a Carnivore on the inside.


Note: Picture taken from Google

That's all I'm going to write today. There's a lot more to explore on the subject but this is pretty much the extent of what I know. If you're interested, Wikipedia has a page about some of the potential causes that have led to this phenomenon and there are a couple other websites on the internet that talk about it as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahah... I expected to read something more related to your training, but this is interesting... I've never heard about this before.. I think u've been too long in Japan :D

France said...

Maybe I have :P and maybe I know more than you about Japan now! lol but you still know more about judo so don't worry :D

Anonymous said...

Well... work on it and I hope u can catch me up soon.

France said...

watch me :)

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

Omoshiroine!

Anonymous said...

I consider myself to be an omnivore... HA!

-Louie H.

Post a Comment