Thursday, August 9, 2012

Coming back to Canada Countdown

Some of you might have already noticed the new addition to my blog: a countdown timer. If you look at the right side of the screen, under the heading "Countdown", you should see a black rectangle with numbers on it. That's the amount of time left before I take the plane at 17:40 on October 5th. The number of days/hours/minutes/seconds may vary depending on what time zone your computer is set at. You can also place your cursor on the rectangle and a different message will pop up. Pretty neat, right? : )

Now, it wasn't easy to install it on my blog. It took me 1h30 just to figure it out. I tried many different websites that create a countdown widget that can be used in blogs. I just got error messages telling me that the html was incorrect. But I was taking the html codes right from the websites. I've played a bit with HTML coding and website design so I understand a few things but I didn't know what was wrong with the codes. So I tried another website. And another. And searched countless times on Google: "how to add a countdown widget to Blogger", "countdown widget that works on Blogger", etc. And finally, after trying many different things, I succeeded!

For those who want to know how I did it (and for the other people like me searching the web to find an answer to their problem), here it is:

1) First, you need to create your widget. There are a lot of websites out there that will make them for you or have better designs but the one that worked for me was http://mycountdown.org
2) Select a countdown from the left-hand menu. They're all pretty much the same. Once you select one, you can customize it: choose the background color, font color, time and date, text, etc.
3) Then, you copy the code.
4) In Blogger, go to "Layout", then select "Add a Gadget". Under the tablet "Basics", you should find "HTML/JavaScript". Select it.
5) Paste the text you just copied into the text box. Make sure that "Rich text" is written on the top right side of the text box. If you click on it, it changes to "Edit HTML". If you think like me, you would think that that's where the code should go. But no, for some reason, it alters the code completely if you place it under "Edit HTML".
6) Then save your changes and hopefully, you should see the countdown widget appear on your page. If it didn't, go over the steps and just keep trying. There is a way. It just might take you an 1h30 to find it ; )

0 comments:

Post a Comment