Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Golden week: No rest for the wicked

It's currently "Golden Week" in Japan right now. Golden Week is a series of consecutive holidays, including Children's Day, Greenery Day, Constitutional Memorial Day, and a couple others. So this week, we only have school twice, on Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday, I went to Machida with Anzu. I was looking forward to being able to maybe relax a bit, catch up on some sleep and get around to tidying up my room on Thursday to Sunday. But instead, along with the women's judo club, I'm going to a training camp at the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Forces Camp Asaka in Tokyo. We'll only be there from the 2nd (Wed) till the 5th (Sat), but we'll be training 3 times a day and the caliber of athletes will be pretty high, including athletes who will be fighting at the Olympics in a few months.

Normally, because it's part of Japan's military forces, foreigners are strictly prohibited. But, because I have a Japanese surname (Shiokawa), I've been given the permission to come as well. But I'm scared that if I open my mouth, they might realize right away that I'm not Japanese... so I'm planning not to speak at all during the next few days. lol. Just kidding, we'll see how it goes.

I probably won't be allowed to take any pictures but I'll stil be able to write about my experiences there. It's exciting because I'm entering unknown terrain where no other foreigners have gone before.
Japan: The final frontier
These are the voyages of Sayuri France Blais-Shiokawa
Its 1 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before

1 comments:

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

It would be nice for a change wouldn't it? Not talking for a few days? ;-)

Post a Comment