Thursday, January 19, 2012

Introducing okonomiyaki (and the master of okonomiyaki)

Okonomiyaki can best be described as a Japanese pancake. The name comes from okonomi, meaning "what you like" or "what you want", and yaki, which means grilled. I first had okonomiyaki about two years ago when I came to Japan with my father. We stayed at the Iwasa's house and Shigenori (a.k.a. the master of okonomiyaki) cooked some delicious okonomiyaki for us.

When I came to Japan in September, I didn't really remember what okonomiyaki tasted like but I remembered that I had really liked it. So I decided to buy some at the grocery store not long after my arrival. And I'm really sorry to say this (I hate wasting food) but I threw the whole thing away after just one bite. It was horrendous! Now, I wasn't sure if it was because the grocery store's version was just bad or if my memory of okonomiyaki had somehow been distorted.

I was able to test that on my last day at the Iwasa's house, on January 2nd. Shigenori cooked up some okonomiyaki (the real thing) and confirmed that I really do like okonomiyaki. Tip: never buy okonomiyaki at a grocery store if you truly want to taste the real thing.

Now introducing okonomiyaki 101:

First step: the ingredients


The master at work

Showing off : P

Putting everything in place

Waiting patiently while it cooks...

And voilĂ ! The finished product.

2 comments:

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

Are you SURE what you bought was the right thing? I mean you could have read the label wrong...

So as you might of notice, I'm am now up to date with you blog sista! iBamboo is in the house!

France said...

Wow, I must say I'm surprisingly delighted! Way to go! When did you find the time to read it? On the way to Regina? About the okonomiyaki, I'm pretty sure that's what I bought. I can show you when you come :)

P.S. what does Bamboo mean?

Post a Comment