Friday, December 16, 2011

Becoming a part of the Tokai judo club

Today's evening judo practice was very significant. As of today, I am now part of the Tokai judo team.
Normally, when we bow at the beginning and end of practice, the gaikokujin (foreigners) sit separately from the Tokai students. The students form a line and the foreigners sit perpendicular to the students. However, today I was told by one of the teachers that from now on, I am to sit among the Tokai students. I get to sit with the second-year students. I feel honored. It's not easy to enter the judo club's inner circle. My dad warned me that I might always be considered separate from the students even though I'm following the same regimen. But now, I've taken one step closer to being part of the team.

It really helps that I'm learning Japanese. Every day, I can speak a little more and understand a little more. Compared to the other foreigners who come to practice, I can interact with the judo girls. We talk after practice or I teach them how to do back handsprings. Slowly but surely, a sense of camaraderie has formed between me and the girls. They might not tell me everything and I don't understand everything yet, but they consider me their friend and fellow teammate.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you can't beat them join them.", right? Congrats France! It is not a small feat. - Agloral

bytherestofus said...

Congratulations!

Shigenori

Papa said...

"At the beginning of the World Series of 1947, I experienced a completely new emotion, when the National Anthem was played. This time, I thought, it is being played for me, as much as for anyone else. This is organized major league baseball, and I am standing here with all the others, and everything that takes place includes me". - Jackie Robinson

Reminder: Pas de blessure

Mama said...

"If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you." T. Alan Armstrong

France said...

Thanks everyone! Merci Papa, c'est exactement comment je me sens. :)

Post a Comment