Thursday, October 4, 2012

Shiokawa reunion in Tokyo

From the 2nd to the 4th, I slept at my great-aunt's place in Tokyo. My grandmother also came down from Tochigi and stayed at my great-aunt's place, which allowed us to spend a few days together before I go back to Canada.

On Tuesday, we went to see the Tokyo Sky Tree, which at 634 meters, is the tallest tower in the world. We didn't go all the way up because you had to pay an additional fee and we deemed that the view at the top wouldn't be much different than the view at the first observatory station, the Tembo Deck (350 m).






My grandmother (left) and great-aunt


On Wednesday, we went to see the newly restored Tokyo Station. A large part of the station was destroyed by firebombings on May 25 and June 25 in 1945. They've now rebuilt the rooftop domes, returning the station to its pre-war condition.



For lunch we ate a delicious meal at Sembikiya, Japan's oldest fruit shop. Sembikiya selects and then sells delicious fruit... at ridiculous prices! But if you're paying that much money, you're guaranteed that the fruit will be delicious.


If converted to Canadian dollars : 263, 72 $ !!! (for the whole fruit basket)

Thankfully, our lunch wasn't as expensive as the fruit basket ; ) We paid about 20 $ for our lunch which consisted of : avocado BLT sandwiches, fruit, and a fruit sundae. (and the fruit were dellllicious!)
Our lunch

After having satisfied our tummies, we went to see Nijubashi, two bridges that form an entrance to the inner palace grounds of the Imperial Palace.





And before going back home, we took a peak inside the Imperial Hotel. I don't even want to know how much it costs to spend one night there.



The outside view


On Thursday, my great-aunt prepared this breakfast for me : D


After breakfast, we went for a short walk.




And then, alas, it was time to say goodbye. When I return, I'll still skype with my grandmother and write letters to my great-aunt, but it's not the same thing as being in Japan and being able to spend time with them. However, I'm grateful for the year I spent with them. And my relatives are so happy that I am learning Japanese. When I came to Japan with my father three years ago, I couldn't speak much Japanese and so communication was limited. But after one year in Japan, my Japanese has improved greatly and we can now carry on long conversations. My grandmother even wrote to me in a letter: "Above anything else, what makes me the happiest is that you studied Japanese" (I know the sentence is a bit weird but it's often very difficult to translate from Japanese to English). I agree with my grandmother. Above all the experiences I've had in Japan, being able to speak with my relatives has been the most rewarding one.

2 comments:

Papa said...

Ma mère et ma tante ont profité de toi.

Mamoru Vincent Blais-Shiokawa said...

"Like"

Post a Comment